Big, juicy slices of the meaty tomahawk steak occupy the imagination of anyone who avidly tries to get the best steak in town. If you have a tomahawk steak, you really wouldn’t want to ruin this beauty. The fear of screwing up cooking any steak is real. You can prepare a steak any way you want, but there’s only one best way to cook a tomahawk steak. To know how to cook it, keep scrolling.
There are a few things which you need to keep in mind to cook this steak to perfection. I have mentioned some of the recipes in this article so that every time you make a tomahawk steak, you nail it. Before getting to that, let’s talk about what it is.
What Is a Tomahawk Steak
Tomahawk steak is a 2-inch-thick beef ribeye with at least a 5-inch-long rib bone. The shape it is cut into looks like the single-handed tomahawk ax, which is where its name comes from.
This steak has caught the fancy of chefs and food lovers alike because of its looks. Butchers remove the excess meat so that you get a long handle with a hunk of meat at the top.
Tomahawk Steak vs Ribeye
Both tomahawk and ribeye are steaks made from the meat on the ribs. The only difference is that the tomahawk is cut with the bone intact, while for making the ribeye, the bone is removed.
Apart from the bone, the size of both these steaks varies as well. Tomahawk steak is cut according to the size of the bone and is usually 2-inch thick.
Where to Buy Tomahawk Steak and Tomahawk Steak Price
The best place to get a tomahawk steak is your local butcher. We would recommend staying away from large chains as they will not give you the same level of customization.
If you do not want to strain your muscles to visit your local butcher, you can try purchasing it online. However, as they are huge, you will get it shipped to your doorstep at an inflated price.
Tomahawk steaks are expensive and would probably cost you two to three times the price of a ribeye. A steak that weighs 300 grams would cost you around $20.
Best Way to Cook a Tomahawk Steak
There are several ways in which you can cook a tomahawk steak. Though recipes vary in some respects, some basic cooking methods stay the same. For instance, the meat needs to rest for a while before you start cooking it. Resting the meat for about ten minutes will allow all the juices to flow from the center toward the outer side of the flesh.
The best way to cook it is by the reverse sear method where you cook it at a low temperature and then use a high temperature just before you finish cooking. You can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak so that you get the perfect medium or medium-rare meat, which is a delight for most taste buds.
How to Cook a Tomahawk Steak
For cooking the steak, give the recipes below a thorough read and follow the instructions carefully.
Tomahawk Steak Recipe Oven
You can cook the steak in an oven by following the simple steps mentioned below:
Thing You Need:
- Tomahawk steak
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Now, sear it on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Put the steak on a baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven.
- Bake it for 30 minutes till its internal temperature reaches 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a thermometer to check the temperature.
- Rest the steak for 10 minutes before you start slicing it to serve.
Sous Vide Tomahawk Steak
The main difference between sous vide tomahawk steak, and other recipes are that it is cooked in a vacuum-sealed bag. Follow the instructions below to cook sous vide tomahawk steak:
Thing You Need:
- Sous vide cooker
- Salt and pepper
- Pot or container
- Vacuum-sealed bag or ziplock bag
- Paper towel
- A pan
- Garlic , thyme
- In a large pot or cooler, make sous vide bath. If you are using sous vide cooker, heat it to 128 degrees Fahrenheit. In case of a cooler, use 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use salt and pepper to thoroughly season the steak and put it in a vacuum-sealed bag.
- For 2.5 hours, put the steak in the bath. You will get a medium-rare steak if you cook for this duration.
- After 2.5 hours, take the steak out of the bag and dry it.
- Turn on the grill and cook the steak by changing its side after every minute till it gets dark.
- Rest the steak for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat and add garlic. Once it starts smelling nice, add thyme and cook for one more minute. Then pour the mixture over the steak.
- Slice and serve.
How to Grill a Tomahawk Steak
The easiest way to grill a tomahawk steak is by sizzling it on a flame. For a smoky flavor, try using charcoal or gas for cooking. This should give you a medium to medium-rare center with a crusty exterior. Read on to know how to grill your steak to perfection:
Thing You Need:
- Salt and pepper
- Get the steak to room temperature by keeping it out of the fridge.
- Turn on one side of the grill and use medium-high heat.
- Use salt and pepper to season the steak thoroughly.
- Cook the steak with indirect method.
- Take it off when it is 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit from the temperature you want. For medium-rare, remove the steak when it heats up to 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now, cook it directly on the flame and turn after each minute until the crust gets a caramel color.
- Once the meat heats up to the desired internal temperature, remove the steak from the grill.
- Garnish it with butter and serve after resting it for 5-10 minutes.
Clear Your Doubt
What is so special about a tomahawk steak?
The extra-long bone is the most unique thing about a tomahawk steak. It looks fabulous when the steak is served. It’s the presentation which has awed people, and its delicious taste makes it unforgettable.
How do you cook a tomahawk steak Jamie Oliver?
To cook it the Jamie Oliver way, follow the steps below:
- Turn on the stove at medium-high heat and put a non-stick frying pan on it.
- Season it with an ample amount of salt and pepper.
- Sear the steak for about 10 minutes and turn it frequently using tongs.
- Once you get the medium-rare center and an excellent color outside, take the steak off.
- Put it on a plate and cover it with foil.
- Cook rosemary in the frying pan at medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Now, add garlic (peeled and sliced) and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook by tossing them for 8 minutes.
- Pour beans, their juice and 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar. Simmer them for 5 minutes.
- Put the slice of steak on top.
- Slice it and serve.
Is a tomahawk steak tender?
It is not only exceptionally delicious but also tender. It is basically a ribeye steak with the bone attached to it. The marbling of fat in the tomahawk steak contributes to making it tender.
Also shopped for:
Last update on 2020-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API